8/17/10

Raw Pantry Essentials


Stocking a raw food pantry may be a bit intimidating when you first start a raw food diet. When I first started eating raw, there were a few ingredients needed to keep on hand which allowed me to try hundreds of new raw food recipes.

Each raw pantry will be unique, tailored to your own individual tastes and dietary requirements. Of course, there was no need to run out and buy everything listed right away. I simply purchased a new ingredient as needed for recipes I was trying:) Many of the items were purchased in the bulk section of my co-op.

Here are some basic items you may find useful when starting your raw food adventure:)

Oils:

Olive, coconut, hemp, sunflower, grape seed, macadamia nut, sesame, pistachio, avocado, almond, and walnut. Although it is not raw, some raw recipes use toasted sesame oil, which tastes incredible:) Most oils should be kept in a cool, dark place. To retain the optimum flavor for an extended time, oils may be refrigerated. It is normal for oil that is refrigerated to become thick and cloudy. Cloudiness is not harmful and should disappear when the oil warms to room temperature. I have kept oils stored in glass bottles up to a year. If possible, look for oils that say raw, cold pressed and not deodorized.

Sweeteners:

Dates(can also be in sugar form, or liquid when blended with water), agave(somewhat controversial right now, also in powder form), stevia, yacon syrup, coconut or palm sugar, evaporated cane juice, coconut nectar, honey(not vegan), rapadura, xylitol(derived from birch trees) and lucuma powder. Maple sweeteners are sometimes used in raw food recipes even though it is not a raw food product and is available as a syrup(grade B) or granulated sugar. Except for maple syrup, I store sweeteners in tightly covered glass jars in a cool dark pantry for up to a year.

Nuts and seeds:

Walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia,pine nuts(pignoli), pistachio, Brazil, hazelnuts, cashews, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds(brown or golden), quinoa, wild rice, buckwheat, and coconut:)

Seeds for sprouting:

May include seeds in the shell like sunflower, peas, alfalfa, broccoli, and spicy seeds like radish, mustard, or clover. Seeds and nuts should be stored tightly covered in glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 1 year. Nuts that have been soaked/sprouted and dehydrated can be stored on a cool dark pantry shelf for 1 year. Many raw foodies prefer to soak/sprout most nuts and seeds for optimal digestion. Please check out my favorite sprouting site, "Sproutpeople" for sprouting instructions.

Beans and Grains:

Most beans and grains are sprouted on a raw food diet. Sprouted grains are also nice dehydrated and ground into flour. Some grains are sprouted and used to make the drink called rejuvelac. Some popular grains include wheat berries, oats, rye, barley, triticale, spelt, kamut, millet and amaranth. Beans for sprouting are mung, lentils, adzuki, garbanzo(chickpeas) black turtle, and pinto.

Dried fruits:

If you have a dehydrator, you can make most of these from fresh produce:) Dried fruits should be organic when possible and free of sulfites or sweeteners like sugar. Raisins, currants, dates, figs, pineapple, mango, all berries(especially goji berries), cherries, apples, apricots, nectarines, papaya, tomato:), cranberries, gooseberries, pears, mulberries, peaches and plums(prunes). Store tightly covered in glass up 6-9 months for best flavor and freshness.

Sea vegetables:
Nori sheets, dulse, wakame, kombu, arame, kelp, kelp noodles, spirulina, chlorella, Irish moss, agar, hijiki, and sea spaghetti. Store tightly covered for 6 months for most nutritional value. Keep up to 1 year tightly covered.

Cacao products:

Cacao butter, cacao paste, cacao powder, cacao nibs, whole cacao beans. Many people enjoy the taste of carob, and use it in place of, or in conjunction with cacao powder. Store tightly covered in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

Herbs, spices, and flavoring:

Basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, curry, dill, cayenne, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, sage, thyme, pepper, red pepper flakes, coriander, chipotles, chili, salt(I love pink salt), and paprika(sweet and smoked), culinary lavender and teas. There are so many more dried herbs, this is only a partial list, just pick the ones you like:) Dried herbs can be made easily by hanging bunches of fresh herbs upside-down until they are dried. Store tightly covered in pantry for up to 1 year for freshest flavor.

Nutritional yeast is a popular non-raw ingredient used in many raw recipes to impart a cheesy flavor.

Some raw food recipes may call for non-alcoholic extracts such as vanilla, cherry, almond, coffee, or maple. Extracts should keep well tightly covered in refrigerator after opening for 1 year. Fresh vanilla bean or vanilla powder is a wonderful option for true vanilla flavor. I also adore orange and rosewater.

Condiments:

Raw apple cider vinegar, raw coconut vinegar, Braggs liquid aminos, Nama Shoyu, Miso paste, ume plum vinegar, raw coconut aminos, and tamari.

Miscellaneous:

Some of these ingredients may fall into the "superfood" category. Lucuma powder(also used as a sweetener), maca powder, mesquite powder, acai powder, and green phytofood powders.

Of course, this is just a partial list of ingredients you may find helpful to have on hand while exploring a raw food diet. This post was created at the suggestion of fellow raw food blogger D2Quilter, from a comment on My Mostly Raw Pantry post:)

I hope you find some new things you may like to try, and let me know if I left anything out! I may make some ingredient additions and add more product links when I have more time:) If you need some recipe ideas, make sure to check out the happy raw kitchen blog RECIPE INDEX, and one of my favorite raw recipe sites, goneraw.com :)

It is fun to experiment with my pantry items, however, keep in mind the bulk of what I eat is fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, prepared simply.

My very own little fridge is usually jammin' with fresh fruits and veggies:) Yup, that means tons of smoothies and salads!


What are your favorite raw pantry essentials?

23 comments:

Joanna Steven said...

Awesome! Thank you for the links, you're the best :)

evergreen said...

You are welcome, Joanna! Love ya:)

Rawk Star said...

Great listing. If that first picture is of your organized pantry, I need you at my house ASAP - ha ha!

kelli said...

great post! a few of my favorite raw pantry staples are cashews, hemp seeds, pecans, dates, vanilla bean, and cacao powder.

bitt said...

for a minute i thought the second picture was of your pantry still. jealous! i'm actually jealous of your pantry too.

what a great list for newbies. i hope you link it up on goneraw.com.

i want to get some rosewater but i don't have any roses to make my own.

singerinkitchen said...

Is that your pantry in the 1st pic? Jealous! Nice work though. I loved your post. I am working off one small pantry and a bookshelf! :)

Nelly said...

you're such a fabulous teacher/mentor to all us newbies...you're amazing...

and yah! i think i am moving in!!! hehe!

=)

VeganLisa said...

What a fantastic, comprehensive post. Your blog is such an amazing resource. Thank you.

My current pantry favourite has to be flax seeds. They are so versatile and such a great source of healthy fats.

xo

Elizabeth said...

I love how organized you are. I thought I was organized! Man girl, you got it going on!! I much better before I had the 5 children. Some day I'll get it back. :)
That store looks killer, where did you take those pics??
I love your jars in the pantry. I think I saw some like that at Wally World...Wal Mart. Will have to convert my re-used applesauce jars to some of these fancy ones too.
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

Melissa said...

Thank you for this amazing review! I so wish my pantry looked like yours:)
All those pictures of the bulk foods really make me miss the coop in Nelson:( Because we were only on one income at the time, being able to buy smaller quantities in bulk was really helpful:)
Have a lovely day lady!

HiHoRosie said...

Great post with a lot of helpful tips and advice and links! Love your pantry. I hope to have one like yours one day. Staples usually include spirulina (YS2 loves it), bananas, avos, seasonal fruit/veggies, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut oil, EVOO, cacao and coconut flakes (homemade if possible). Oh and pb, which yeah, isn't raw but it's a must-have in our house! ;)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) said...

SUCH a great guide!! Thank you!! Your pantry is amazing. I dream of a pantry like that some day. With 3 roommates there is only so much I can do. :) My favorite staples are raw cacao, coconut oil, hemp seeds, olive oil and recently, sun warrior protein.

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

beautiful post and i have done a raw pantry/pantry essentials post in the past and dates, nuts, agave, oil..those are my short list must haves!

Sheila Bocchine said...

This post made me miss the US. Living in South Korea, I don't see 3/4 of these things... :(

evergreen said...

Awww...thanks for the sweet comments everyone!

@ RawkStar @Noelle...Yes, that first picture is of my little bookcase pantry :) RS, I'm free on Friday if you really need me..hehe

@bitt~I think there is an existing list started by Kandace I will try to find and maybe add a link back here, thanks for the suggestion!

Nelly and Melissa...{{{HUGS}}}

kelli, VeganLisa, HiHoRosie, Jackie, Averie, thanks for the lovely comments, and telling me your pantry favorites:)

@Elizabeth~TY! The bulk item pictures are taken in the Honest Weight co-op in Albany, N.Y. We do have to travel a bit to get there, but it's worth the trip:) Most of my jars are regular canning jars, there is more info about them on this post:
http://thehappyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-mostly-raw-pantry.html

Hi Shelia... I am so grateful to have this store within my reach, but you should be able to order many of these things online I think:)

Patinaware said...

I love what you did with yr pantry!
How inspiring!

I thought we had plenty of cupboard space when we moved here, but we don't! Once done with the projects i'm working on now, i'll have to figure something out.

Thanks for the inspiration!
And thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog ♥

Julia said...

What an awesome run down of a (your) raw pantry! being new to this I always love seeing what other people use and like so yay for the great post!

Anonymous said...

Wow!Wow! Awesome post ♥ need to do some catching up on your blog..Thank's for the tips.
x
(Hugs)

Anonymous said...

Wow!Wow! Awesome post ♥ need to do some catching up on your blog..Thank's for the tips.
x
(Hugs)

Livia said...

First off, wow, i'm very impressed with your post, i did have a question for you, have you ever gone the green smoothie route? I see with all these raw ingredients you'd have it all laid out already.

aliraza1122 said...

Useful info. Hope to see more good posts in the future. long grain organic white rice Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you've covered so many bases. Great stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog. read me This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. organic rice suppliers Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks

Rice Store Blog said...

Rice is the seed of the grass species Oryza sativa (Asian rice) or less commonly Oryza glaberrima (African rice). For more info see red rice recipe

Moss Padangpedia said...

Menyantap nasi Padang terasa kurang nikmat jika tanpa siraman kuah gulai. Di Kota Padang sendiri Gulai Nangka lebih familar dikenal dengan Gulai Cubadak resep lain terkait padang lihat Disini

Related Posts with Thumbnails