2/6/11

This Post Is For The Birds:)


Hello my sweet friends! I hope you are all well and happy.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you. Thank you very much for your awesome blog comments, twitter DM's and e-mails. It means so much to me!

We have finally finished our move from upstate New York to the capitol region of Florida.

Yes, it took several months...lol! We made a total of 9 round trips, each about 2800 miles. Every trip took about a week, 2 days to go one way, a few days there to either pack or unpack, and 2 days back. We brought almost all our food to eat while traveling in coolers, and only slept about 4-5 hours (in the truck) each way.

Um....yeah. :)

We did take a few days off from moving here and there to explore our new home state of Florida, though:)

The only "thing" I was nervous about moving was my sweet little parrot, Nikki-bird:)

I had nothing to worry about, though. She was absolutely wonderful on the trip, and enjoyed sharing almost all my food with me:) Her favorite treats were raspberries and a raw pizza flavored cracker. BTW~ Nikki-bird is a thirty-something Blue-fronted Amazon parrot.

Although we still have tons of boxes to unpack, I wanted to say hi and share a little treat I have been making lately, but it is literally for the birds!

Our new backyard had a bird feeder and we have really enjoyed watching all the beautiful feathered friends in our new neighborhood. We added a new feeder, and also a seed cake made with suet. After the store bought seed cake ran out, I made a vegan version:)

Simply melt about 1/2 a cup of coconut oil, stir in a spoonful of nut butter, and add some birdseed. Fill the empty tray you were smart enough to save from the store bought suet;), and chill until firm. It pops right out when cold,

and fits perfectly in the holder.

The best part is that the birds seem to like it even better than the store bought one!

It is the favorite of the red-headed woodpeckers:)

The treat in the picture only lasted about 2 days, so I made another one, and also a bowl shaped one with all kinds of seeds, millet, and almonds. I also used some of the more frugal (aka cheap) coconut oil from the supermarket for this bird treat. It will most likely melt when the weather gets warm, so this is a winter treat for our feathered friends:) Do you feed the birds in your area in the winter? How many of you have made the classic pinecone spread with peanut butter and rolled in birdseed version?:)

It actually gave me the idea to someday try a raw treat for us with coconut oil and nut butter as the base...hmmmm:)

Well, that's it for today. We will soon be updating the kitchen here so I might not post anything too fancy for a while. I hope to be back to regular blogging before ya know it:)

Wishing you all tons of love, health, and happiness, always:)
Angela

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela - It's good to hear that you're settling in well and Nikki-bird is beautiful! We live next door to a small water park with swans and ducks and geese and moor hens and birds I don't quite recognise. I've never fed them (I don't think we're supposed to) but I do keep some almonds in my bag for squirrels when the weather is warmer.

kelli said...

hi angela!!! love this post! such pretty photos. nikki bird is so cute and i love the homemade bird feeder. i sprinkle seeds out in my backyard every so often, and put cat food out for the strays.=)

xoxoxo

VeganLisa said...

Angela,

I'm glad your big journey south is over and now you can spend more time exploring and settling in. I will be in Orlando at the end of the month and will certainly think of you.

xo

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I give you a ton of credit, that move sounded brutal. Hopefully now you can just enjoy your new home.
Your bird is beautiful.
We have a few red headed woodpeckers that love to peck at the neighbors metal eavestrough--it is very loud but the kids think it is hilarious.
We use to keep two bird feeders in the back yard but they are so worn and torn, I need to buy new ones and start feeding the beautiful cardinals we have here.
Welcome to Florida!!
Peace & Raw Health,
Elizabeth

HiHoRosie said...

I had been thinking of you so I'm glad see an update from you. Yay!

Now that's quite a move - not sure I could've handled it myself. And Nikki-bird is beautiful and looks like a sweetie. We just got (about a month or so ago) a canary. She (he?) likes greens sprinkled with spirulina. ha ha! She loves other raw treats too so it's fun.

I like your bird food feeder. That's cool. We'll have to make one. We put out food for all the critters that come by. But the pesky squirrels seem to enjoy it most!

bitt said...

Gosh I love the idea of a bird as a companion because the decade or so that dogs and cats live is just too short. Enjoy her.

So awesome you made a vegan suet! Just shows anything can go veg.

Glad you are back!

La Mama Naturale' said...

Hi Angela!!!
Good to hear from you. Sounds like the hardest parts are over. w00t! Your Nikki-bird is so pretty. How awesome that you spoil her with homemade healthy treats! love it! We feed the birds while feeding the hens (they usually pick up the scraps & the boys always throw extra for em). Heart the pinecone & pb/seeds craft. Big hit! Enjoy your week. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Angela! Wow, what a trip, so happy everything and your friendly Nikki-bird made it! xo

Julie Lynn said...

Angela! It is so good to "see" you back and blogging again. :-) Your bird is so pretty and (as usual) your creativity is amazing.

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Your blog looks great. I love the photos and the food for the birds is great. I'm following you now.

Colleen Miller said...

Love your bird seed recipe! We bought some pinecones that have hooks already attached for $1 at the farmer's market to make with the kids, but I have not done that yet. Time to get on that!!!

Melissa said...

Hi Angela!!! Glad you are finally finished your move.What a busy lady you have been.

That bird seed recipe looks awesome. From the looks of it, the birds love it too:)

PS nikki-bird is beautiful!!

Hope all is well and can't wait to see you around the sphere again:)
Lots of love!!!

Angelique said...

Angela -- so glad to see you posting again and that you made it through the moving process! Looking forward to your future posts!

Raw Food Diet Food said...

Hey /i just wanted to say I love you blog!

Marvin said...

It really works. Great post.

Mark Ski said...

Let's make 2013 a great year for hemp - sign the petition to the White House - already got great support from people like Cynthia McKinney - it's at www.minawear.com/about-us/
Also check out her brother's site: www.hempforvictory.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails